[Avodah] Machnisei Rachamim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 17 08:15:29 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:38:26AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: Micha Berger wrote:
:> WRT the neshamos of niftarim, it is common during the close of a hesped
:> for someone to ask the niftar to be a meilitz yosher for us. The Gra
:> would assur that as well.

: I very much doubt it, since the Zohar explicitly permits it.

According to the MB (559:41) the Ari disrecommended going within 4
amos of a qever aside from the qevurah. In the Igers haGra, he is more
restrictive, "Refrain also from going to the cemetery (especially women),
as it leads to all kinds of sorrow and sin." (tr. by Pirchei Shoshanim)
(The "especially women" means it applies to men too, not just the wife
to whome he wrote this letter.)

As for this particular question, we've discussed it before. E.g.
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=M#MACHNISEI%20RACHAMIM%20APOLOGETICS
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=H#HARRY%20POTTER%20AND%20KISHUF
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=M#MANIPULATING%20BODILY%20ENERGIES
or
http://bit.ly/kpaTe , http://bit.ly/4ATlR2 and http://bit.ly/1eeoHZ

:                                                               Why
: would it be a problem, if it wasn't one before the person died?

As I said in the lattermost discussion (v254n25e10):
> I am not expressing a position where the spectrum is split into issur
> vs heter, just defining the spectrum. I did mention the Gra's
> position, which I follow in my own practice -- but also acknowledged
> that it's a minority opinion that runs counter to common pesaq. It
>  just is most intuitive to me, so until I can say Shalom Aleikhem and
> be sure I'm not misunderstanding it in a means that is AZ, I will
> avoid it. Qua chumrah, not din. As I wrote, I left the din question
> open.

As for whether meisim have bechirah... The Rogotchover places them
lemaalah min hazeman. What that does to aggaditos about how long a
non-rasha is in gehenom is beyond me. I also don't know how to explain
the concept of decision without time.

Micha Berger             A life of reaction is a life of slavery,
micha at aishdas.org        intellectually and spiritually. One must
http://www.aishdas.org   fight for a life of action, not reaction.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            -Rita Mae Brown