[Avodah] The shape of the Menorah of the Temple

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Sep 13 11:01:58 PDT 2009

This new data provides additional support to my central hypothesis, that the branches of the menorah were neither semi-circular nor straight.  Indeed, this depiction is remarkably similar to the only other representation we have from the time the Bet haMiqdash was standing, and there is no possible way to reconcile these depictions with the theory that the branches were straight.
My other hypothesis was that the description by the Rishonim that seem to indicate that the branches were straight do not necessarily mean that, and can refer to branches that are not semicircular but still curved, as the branches are depicted in this new source.  In particular, I claim that the Rambam in Perush haMishnayot clearly describes (in Arabic) that his drawing is only schematic, and that it is equally possible, and, in my opinion, more probable, that in a schematic drawing he would have drawn arms that are elliptical not as semicircular but as straight.  The new depiction cannot confirm that hypothesis, of course; the only one who could confirm that would have been the Rambam.  However, the additional years and study of all of the drawings of the Rambam in the Perush haMishnayot and Mishneh Torah have only strengthened my conviction that my hypothesis is correct, and that the Rambam's drawings, although not proving the exact shape that the Rambam thought the branches to be, show only that he did not believe them to be semicircular and in no way show that he thought they were straight.
Seth Mandel