[Avodah] [Areivim] RHS and dairy

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:18:27 PDT 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:12:09 -0600 martin brody
<martinlbrody at gmail.com> wrote:
>I don't know if anybody answered this yet, but it is my
understanding that
>RHS considers cows as suffeik treifas, and rejects rov as measured
at
>slaughter. As we mostly slaughter steers for meat, maybe he thinks
milking
>cows are subject to some sort of problem that increases the
likelihood of
>being trefiot

So, what can we do about this?

That is, it seems to me impossible to say that the Torah intended
that their be a time when dairy products are impossible to obtain
in a kosher manner.  Furthermore, it seems clear that those who
hold this way (AFAIK RHS is not the only one) have to be relying on
more than simple safek, because it has always been true that some
cows turn out to be treif, and, again AFAIK, we never see this
chashash in the Gemara or rishonim.

So I must assume that there is some way the problem could be
avoided, it is just that whatever the necessary steps are, they
aren't being taken.  Now, given that this is a very minority
opinion, it may be perfectly reasonable that they aren't being
taken.  But I would be very interested to know what, at least in
theory, would have to be done to avoid this problem according to
this opinion.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu