[Avodah] YT Sheini Shell Golah and the Internet

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 10 03:02:45 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:47:18AM +0000, rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com wrote:
: Permit me clarify:
: AIUI Micha has given a valid teirutz to the following question
: "Given a fixed calendar Why bother with YT sheini?"

: But WADR I think my question is new and different

: I am saying that if qiddush hachodesh were al pi reiya tomorrow morning,

I think it's my point that needds clarification.

I was taught as a child that YTSSG was about knowing what to do when
we go back to al pi re'iyah. I heard echos of that in RRW's post,
which is why he is asking about the reason for YTSSG now that we know
chu"l won't need a yom tov sheini even if we go back to al pi re'iyah.

The real answer to his question is that it's a derabbanan, and therefore
until you gather another Sanhedrin gadol mimenu bechokhmah uveminyan,
that's the law. I am not sure, but I /think/ that's what RSZ is saying;
if I misunderstood, I ask Zev to clarify.

However, what I answered was to turn the taqanah around. Rather than
have it point to the future, it's a commemoration of the al pi re'iyah
past. Therefore, changes in what we project would happen in bayis
shelishi are irrelevent.

Micha Berger             Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of
micha at aishdas.org        greater vanity in others; it makes us vain,
http://www.aishdas.org   in fact, of our modesty.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              -Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)