[Avodah] inconceivable-- Ben Sorer uMoreh

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Sep 6 23:49:40 PDT 2009

In Avodah Digest, Vol 26, Issue 169 dated 8/17/2009
_rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com_ (mailto:rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com)   writes:

>> This actually happened to a chaver of mine  "Avi"

It's YT in Wash Heights.

A Black Man approaches  Avi

Please!  I need money to feed my baby milk!

Avi  silently procrasinates

BM follows up: I'm Jewish from Israel and  repeats his request in Modern
Hebrew!

What would YOU do?
What  does the halachah say?

(Note: handing him money is probably only a  direct violation of
muktze. Mesayei'a lidvar aveira?)  <<

What is your friend Ari doing walking around on Yom Tov with money in his
pocket?!  Or does he take the beggar home with him and invite him in while
he gets his wallet?!

So what would I do?  I would say, "I'm sorry, it's a Jewish holiday  and I
don't have any money on me."  If the guy seemed to be fluent in  Hebrew I
would say it in Hebrew.  If he seemed likely to knife me, I would  offer him
any jewelry I happened to be wearing and then run for my  life.

BTW "my baby needs milk" is an old sucker ploy.  Another one is, "My  wife
is in labor and I have no money for a taxi."  Some of these guys are
phenomenal actors.  But choosing obvious Jews as your mark  and speaking in Hebrew
is a creative twist.  He had to have lived in  Israel at some point,
unusual for a con man on Manhattan streets.

--Toby  Katz