[Avodah] Third and Final Temple

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 27 11:52:05 PDT 2009

R' Martin Brody asked on Areivim:
> Can anybody give me the source for this idea, please?
> For example not only did Julian offer to rebuild, but Hadrian made a promise
> too, neither time bringng Messianic excitement. (Bar Kochba came after
> Hadrian failed to keep his promise)

I'm not sure how that parenthetic sentence works, since it would seem to
be that BK was a reaction to crushed dreams. Messianism was in the air,
why not because the talk of the third bayis put it there?

R' Rafi Goldmeir replied (also on Areivim):
> I asked (I among a couple of other people) Rabbi Richman from the Temple
> Institute whether the Third Temple will be the final temple.
> He said two things:

> 1. Who says the next Temple will be the third? There were a few previous
> attempts, even successful to varying degreesm to build Batei Mikdash in
> different time sin history. So the next one might not be #3, but might
> be 4, 5, or 6. I dont remember the time periods he mentioned (the
> conversation was a few years ago), but he mentioned a couple.

> 2. There is no source that says the Third Temple will last forever and
> not be destroyed. So it might not be the final Temple, just like the 1st
> was not nor was the second.

> Hopefully it will be, and hopefully it will be soon.

See RSRH on parashas Shemini. Leshitaso, the next beis hamiqdash with be
the eighth:
    Sinai
    Gilgal
    Shilo
    Nov
    Gid'on
    Bayis Rishon
    Bayis Sheini
and Bayis Shelishi, bb"a!

These are paralleled by the 8 days of milu'im, and RSRH's entire symbology
for 8 as lemaalah min hateva -- beyond the week. Which would imply that
there will be one and only one more chanukas habayis. (To whatever extent
you find RSRH's shitah compelling.)

Micha Berger             I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
micha at aishdas.org        but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
http://www.aishdas.org   tasks as if they were great and noble.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Helen Keller