[Avodah] Rambam

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 09:49:58 PDT 2009

RET:
> This article claims that when ambam wrote Perish Hamishnayot he held like
> he Ri Migash even though he had already mastered Shas.

The Rambam earlier took the Ri Migash as literal! Had he been exposed
to R Kanarfogel (RDEK) :-) he might have understood the caveats or
the contexts of the Ri Migash differently - because Ri Migash did NOT
literally state this hilluq - rather we KNOW it from other things he said!

WADR, this shows IMHO that Rambam himself evolved and matured and realized
LATER ON not to take this too literally!

RDEK gives 2 teirutzim to the inconsistency between Ri Migash's stated
position And his own behavior:

1 mastery of Shas
2 Ri Migash et al. Never meant programmtic statements to be taken
literally 100% of the time. - aiui it is a default - a klal - not a hard
and fast rule

Unfortunately literalists, textualists, and fundamentalists
frequently. misconstrue the Rambam and Ashkenaz because they fail to
"get" how programmatic meta-rules were meant to be implemented. IOW
They lost the TSBP on HOW to apply the rules and instead of using them
judiciously they apply them slavishly!

That's why bar-ilan CD searches are dangerous in the hands of half-baked
students who cannot fathom how to wade into these areas!

For a mashal see haqdama to new edition SA Harav where the Alter Rebbe
apparently outlived his earlier "slavish" devotion to Magein Avraham.

Bottom Line:
Mature Rabbis do not pasqen "knee-jerk" style. They use discernment.
Unfortunately "novices" sometimes lack the meta-rules or the subtleties
to fathom what's REALLY going on.

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile