[Avodah] Gezeiros after Sanhedrin

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 24 10:29:48 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:16:52PM -0400, Micha Berger wrote:
: As for whether this gezeirah was made by Rava...
: But before that, RYBZ only allowed shofar blowing before a beis din. If
: Rava made a second taqanah, it was that he found RYBZ's position to
: be too loose, and there was still too much of a risk of hotza'ah.
: Alternatively, he could have been pasqening that without a Sanhedrin
: in the lishqas hagazis, none of the batei din qualified for RYBZ's
: permission. (Much like their loss of authority WRT dinei nefashos.)

At RRW's prodding, I rechecked the gemara. Rava gives Rabba's gezeirah.
RH 29b.

Which makes my answer even easier. Rather than prove from his role in
selecting R' Yoseif' replacement that Rava was in communication with the
Sanhedrin, we are dealing with Rabba, who was R' Yoseif's predecessor
as nasi.

R' Yoseif was supposed to be first, because he was Sinai, which is a
more fundamental need than Rabba, the oqier harim. That said, R' Yoseif
refused the position until Raba's petirah.

So, Rabah's gezeirah was enacted by the nasi, just as R' Yochanan ben
Zakkai's was, and there is every reason to assume the Sanhedrin

And even that's not muchrakh, as Rava's words are "verabanan hu degazar
beih *kede*Rabah", implying that Rabah could indeed have been reporting
an already existing gezeirah.

There is still the gezeira deRava WRT taba'as sheyeish aleha chotam
(Shabbos 62a). So my dochaq may still be needed there if one wants to
relegate the rights of making a formal gezeirah only to the Sanhedrin..

Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,
http://www.aishdas.org   you must know where to slaughter and what
Fax: (270) 514-1507      parts to offer.        - R' Simcha Zissel Ziv