[Avodah] lo plug

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 01:30:36 PDT 2009

<<There are gezeiros for some cheshashos that are real
stretches, and yet nothing protecting things that nowadays are often done
incorrectly. (Hand clapping on Shabbos vs amirah le'aqum for tzarkhei
rabbim, as an example.) I think the only way to understand which things
get a gezeirah is to assume that in practice at the time when there was a
Sanhedrin that /could/ make a gezeira, those were the things that people
actually did err on.>>

Just to nitpik - it is not only the Sanhedrin. To my mind one
of the strangest gezerot is that of Rabbah not to blow shofar when RH fals
on shabbat (as this year) and so we dont keep shofar from the Torah
and similarly in EY there will be no lulav on yomtov.

All the explanations I have heard are all farfetched. We give up a mitzvah
from the Torah (shev ve-al taaseh) for some remote chahash that someone
will take a shofar in Reshut Harabaim (assumming the need for 600000 this was
very rare - indeed were there any cities in Bavel with 600000 people
passing each day)
to learn how to blow shofar or make a beracha.
True the yerushalmi brings a pasuk but we seem to pasken like Rabbah
that it is a gezerah

--
Eli Turkel