[Avodah] lo plog

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Aug 19 18:19:27 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 05:45:38AM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
[R Eli Turkel:]
:> More generally in some cases we say X is different than Y and so the :> prohibition of Y does not apply and in other cases we say lo plog

: imho this is a specific case of a more general question - is the
: halachic process reproducible?

Is this a question -- I thought the answer was clearly "no". E.g.
gezeiros. There are gezeiros for some cheshashos that are real stretches, and yet nothing protecting things that nowadays are often done incorrectly. (Hand clapping on Shabbos vs amirah le'aqum for tzarkhei rabbim, as an example.) I think the only way to understand which things get a gezeirah is to assume that in practice at the time when there was a Sanhedrin that /could/ make a gezeira, those were the things that people actually did err on.

Micha

======================================

Don't think so - that would be reproducible - i.e. if we knew what the practice at the time was, we would come up with the same result.  I'm talking about examples where in case A we say Lo Plug but not in B which seems the same "stretch".  Even more recently (where your explanation would be less likely) why do we sometimes see  poskim saying things like, "in this case we're choshesh for the deiah of X" wheras in other cases X is dismissed as a daas yachid?

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.