[Avodah] saves a life, or a Jewish life?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 19 07:18:34 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 09:10:00PM +0300, Michael Makovi wrote:
: Regarding Sanhedrin 4:5, about saving a life saving the world: does it
: read nefesh ahat mibnei adam or miyisrael?

: I have collected some sources on this at
: http://michaelmakovi.blogspot.com/2009/08/save-jewish-life-save-whole-world.html

: Teaser: One of my sources about the Mishna's correct reading, is the KORAN!

It sort of depends on the precision of the translation. Is it "as though
he saved all of humanity" or "all of the people" [ie the Jewish People]?
You quote the latter.

In any case, here's a posting from Amitai Halevi to soc.culture.jewish
on the topic, posted 4-Nov-1996.