[Avodah] inconceivable-- Ben Sorer uMoreh

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 19 06:57:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 06:57:40PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: Which chachamim?  Bear in mind that the halacha accepted by everybody
: until about 1800 was that one may *not* do so, and *not* to worry about
: eivah...

RDR already raised the question about universality. I'm curious too.
Given the sugya in AZ ein maamidim, it would seem the machloqes rishonim
is how much eivah (not doing the job, or not doing it even though he was
going to pay you) vs the Mei'iri. In any case, the Taz is before 1800,
no? YD 154 s"q 5, seems to assume that in most cases, we are mechalelim
Shabbos mishum aivah.

:         About that time the metzius of the nochrim seems to have changed
: and the fear of eivah to have become more real, leading the poskim of
: that time to rule that one may be mechalel shabbos for this purpose.

Actually, eivah went DOWN during that period in most places where we
lived. I would therefore suggest the reverse -- mishum eivah became more
of an issue when the eivah had some chance of being avoided. If we were
likely to be accused of alilas dam if they didn't have something
substansive anyway, what is gained by the chilul Shabbos?

: When that concern doesn't exist, what possible basis could there be
: for a heter?!

Darkhei Shalom.

Micha Berger             Mussar is like oil put in water,
micha at aishdas.org        eventually it will rise to the top.
http://www.aishdas.org                    - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507