[Avodah] Tzni'ut and Gender Issues

Joseph Kaplan penkap at panix.com
Fri Aug 14 06:22:00 PDT 2009

In thinking about this some more, it seems to me that there are three
concepts that overlap and may sometimes be confused in connection
with people playing a public role in the Jewish community: tzni'ut
(modesty), kavod (honor) and respect.

As I see it, tzni'ut tells us HOW to play a public role, not whether
we SHOULD play it.  Thus, one should be a public figure modestly;
without arrogance, self-importance, ga'avah, conceit etc. etc.  That
is what modesty means in this context and, of course, would apply
equally to both men and women.

Kavod/honor tells us WHY, or, rather, WHY NOT, one should seek a
public role.  If the reason is to seek kavod/honor, then sources that
have been presented in earlier posts teach us that one should not
chase after honor.  So if that's the reason for one wishing to play a
public role, it's not a good one. Of course, when the purpose is to
honor others (as, for example, posters have argued is the case of a
misader kiddushin), then such "honor" is acceptable.  Again, this
should apply equally to men and women.

And respect.  It seems to me that most of the women who seek the
title "rabbi" are not doing it for honor but are doing it for
respect, a respect that is necessary to do their jobs properly.
Without the title -- and this might be unfortunate but I think it's
true -- they're not listened to.  "Who's he/she to tell us that?"
Without the title, it's tough to answer that question. I've heard
faculty and administration in the schools my kids went to speak about
"the rabbis" in a way that they do not speak about others in the
school.  And because of that attitude and the respect "the rabbis"
receive, they can do their jobs properly and are listened to.  In
addition, they get paid better than others who may have equal
knowledge but no title.  This too i an issue of respect (and fairness.)

I see this in real life in another setting.  My wife has a PhD in
psychology. However, she uses "Dr." only in professional settings,
EXCEPT when she's dealing with medical doctors, customer service
people or bureaucrats.  When she was managing her elderly parents'
health care, if she was simply Sharon Kaplan she was often shunted
aside quickly.  When she introduced herself as Dr. Sharon Kaplan, the
attitude changed, and her questions and comments were treated much
more seriously.  Similarly, she has found that when making a
complaint about goods or services or when dealing with a government
(or any other) bureaucrat, saying she is "Dr." Kaplan gets her much
better service; the service that all of us deserve but frequently do
not get.

I have spoke n to women and men who do bikkur cholim in hospitals.
Men who say they are "Rabbi" so-and-so are treated better by hospital
staff than women (and men) who do not have the title.  Thus, women
who want to be hospital chaplains know that having the title "rabbi"
will get them the respect they deserve, thus helping them do their
job better and enabling them to give better service to the recipients
of those services.

There are, of course, other public policy issues concerning whether
women should be rabbis or play a more public role in certain ritual
settings.  But it seems to me that tzni'ut is not one of those public
policy issues.

Joseph Kaplan