[Avodah] Women Learning Torah

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:57:44 PDT 2009

Apparently some of my positions have been misperceived a bit.

I am taking a centrist 2-track approach (similar to Hirsch's 2-tiered
approach re: the hinuch for Yaakov and Esav)

Tier 1 women learn traditonally as before.
No gmara. Women learn basic Halachah etc. Kitzur SA, a smattering of
Midrash, mussar, etcm

Tier 2 Women are enabled - but not coerced - to learn what men learn.

Thus I support allowing women to choose a Hareidi-style education

OR

A RYDS-style fully modern yeshivisher curriculum, gmara and all.

And that no woman would be "shamed" into either role, rather to learn what best works for her as an individual.

No coercion
No one-size-fits-all
Freedom of their own destiny
No disabilities

The decision to produce Orthodox women clergy will be postponed; but
there will be women ready to go at any time.

It's about not forcing the issue, but allowing the issue.

It's about Liberty within the confines of Torah

Q: Is it about concensus?