[Avodah] School Tuition + Fundraising

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 11:59:32 PDT 2009

Set aside the halachic issues for a while

What are the ETHICS of Jewish Schools doing the following?

Instead of asking for a lump sum - say $10,000, you sometimes get

$500 journal ad
$1500 "scholarship" donation
$500 registration
$2000 "scrip" obligation
(worth $100)
$500 raffle
Etc.

And finally the remainder is the "tuition"

But any "honest" accountant will tell you it's all tuition and none
is deductible.

So what's the point?
It seems a ha'arama and a less than "tamim tihyeh" approach. When our
educational system "plays games" won't the students learn the "wrong"
lessons?

Wouldn't "Glatt yosher" call a tuition a tuition and suspend with using
"manipulation" to acheive the fund-raising goal?

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

[Amazingly, my wife *just* posted something similar on a neighborhood
list quoting me about camps that expect their junior staff to be "paid
in tips". There is something scary about our future when we involve our
youth in plans to make $2,000 camp trips look like $1,500 plus tips,
trip money, bus, etc... Not dishonest, per se, just an attitude toward
yosher that I find disconcerting. -mi]