[Avodah] some halachot of moser

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 5 13:25:39 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 04:50:31PM +0000, rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
wrote:
: Zev Sero:
:> 2. The Aruch Hashulchan absolutely cannot be relied on in this area;
:> his exaggerated flattery of contemporary government is transparently
:> designed to please the censor

: But to the best of my knowledge he is correct on this point. Most
: critical readers consider the AhS gushing comments as a nod to the
: oppressive czarist regime.

The rule of thumb I was taught is that the AhS's flattering is overt
and obvious. And so, when Zev Sero wrote on on Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at
8:11am EDT:
: When a source is *known* to write things he doesn't mean in order to
: get by the censor, how can you possibly rely on anything he writes in
: that vein? ...

Because RYM Epstein is known to do it with "transparent design", as RRW
put it. If it's not patently obvious, then the AhS meant it.

Micha Berger             "The worst thing that can happen to a
micha at aishdas.org        person is to remain asleep and untamed."
http://www.aishdas.org          - Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv, Alter of Kelm
Fax: (270) 514-1507