[Avodah] "scientific advances"

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 09:33:36 PDT 2009

RET
> That doesn't imply that every latest medical theory is correct

About 100 years ago science said:
Since diabetics lose sugar in their urine
And
Since they lose weight and grow weaker
Therefore they need to supplement their diets with MORE sugar to compensate!

Today we would laugh at this - but Woody Allen's Sleeper provides a
model on how that someday OUR scientific beliefs will be laughed at too.

#############

DI
> Not sure what your point is

To get people to reflect

To think "critically" in the sense of not drinking the "Kool-aid"

Newer may be better or may be nothing more than revisionism to sell
new books.

EG:
A Rabbinical Colleague into "wissenshaft"
[Name available offline] has warned me about not running too far with
the latest scientific conclusions

##############

Many "revisions" in minhag are similar.
Often a new "insight" is popular, but the change provides nothing more
than a "trade-off"

Examples abound: here is one:
Artscroll is even-handed

L'eila l'eila. (Sans a connecrive vav) is deemed "grammatically" superior

OTOH from the Manuscripts of the Maharil the VAV is considered the
original nusach.

Classic svara vs. Mesorah stuff.

AISI changing a shul's exisitng minhag one way or the other nets no
benefit - and is merely change for change's sake.

OTOH Setting up a NEW Minhag would be different

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile