[Avodah] medieval jewish history

Shlomo Pick picksh at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Aug 3 10:06:26 PDT 2009

Arie wrote:

> 1) Mediaeval generally means between the fall of Rome in 476 (or even

earlier, from the split between the Eatern and Western Roman empire)

and the discovery of the New World in 1492. Jewishly, this is a very

long period. When we use the adjective Mediaeval, we often think

Rishonim, but this period includes not only the Geonim and Rishonim,

but also the Savoraim and even some of the Amoraim. Hence, it doesn't

mean the Midrash is particularly late.

Just to note:

       1.

The issue of periodization of Jewish medieval history has been an issue for
the last 30-40 years.  See the article by haim Hillel ben sasson, in rezef
vetemurah, tel-aviv, pp. 359-378. his opinion is that jewish medieval
history starts with the rise of islam and arab conquests.

See also Jacob kate, mechkarim bemadaei hayahadut, ed. m. bar-asher,
Jerusalem 1986, pp. 209-225.

There is more by profs. C.z. dimitrovsky and moseh david heer.

I heard a lecture by the late prof. m breuer of the jewish history
department in bar ilan suggest other dates.

Almost no one views the Talmud period or even the post Talmud period as
medieval, especially in terms of rabbinic writings.

Then again, some ultra nationalists would suggest between 70 CE or 135 CE
and 1948..

The end of the period ranges from 1492 to 1648 to 1789.  Harvard university
holds that jewish medieval history ends with the French revolution. So does
Touro in Israel which is run by a  Harvard grad.

Shlomo