[Avodah] some halachot of moser

Chanoch (Ken) Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 09:36:21 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 09:40:08PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
>   R Broyde has an article on the
> subject in Journal of Contemporary Society 43
>
> In it his brings that the Tzitz Eliezer allows reporting crimes to
> western society governments based on the Arukh HaShulchan
> that todays governments do not
> kill criminals as bandits used to in the old days.
> Tzitz Eliezer explicitly says that one should inform on child
> molesters to the government
>
> R. Elyashiv concurs in a case of a robbery in the office of religious
> affairs. Informing
> the police will lead to an investigation which most likely will find one of the
> religious employees guilty. R Elyashiv based on a Panim Meorot says to report
> the incident to the police
>
> R Batzri disagrees stating there is no such thing as a just secular government.
> R. Wosner differentiates bewteen a crime under Jewish law and a crime only under
> secular law. When the incident is covered under dina demalchuta then one
> can inform the police.
>
> R. Moshe Feinstein seems to allow informing the police only for violent crimes.
>
> In summary it is a machloket haposkim and so the one who informed has
> a legal basis.
> Even in theory one would have no right to kill such a person.

In my comments on Areivim, I was assuming that among the opinions who
I can easly find (the above poskim plus RHS and RYBS and the Pitchei
Choshen) R' Basri's opinion would be the most relevant to the Brooklyn
Syrian community. (Though RMF may also be relevant to them, I doubt
RYBS would be.)

Note that after the moser has already reported his intended target(s)
to the government, R' Basri rules that the moser's fate must be
decided by the beit din, so our discussion of how to handle a moser is
largely academic, assuming someone caught on what he was trying to do
before he did it.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/