[Avodah] Mizmor Shir 'Hanukat Habayit

Arie Folger arie.folger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 04:03:50 PDT 2009

Dear fellow 'Ovedim,

I am taking the liberty to bring this following blog post of mine to
your attention. I will gladly hear your thoughts.

How did Psalm 30 Land in the Morning Service
July 31, 2009
====================================
One of the pleasures of having come to Basel was, that I was suddenly
confronted with what seemed to me rather strange liturgical minhaggim,
as up until then I had assumed that my tradition was of course the
standard; a common human fallacy. One of the things I discovered, is
that, while every synagogue I could remember visiting up until then,
included Psalm 30 (מזמור שיר חנוכת הבית) in the morning liturgy, to be
recited before Baruch SheAmar, in Basel, it was ignored.

My first indication that this Psalm’s inclusion in the liturgy
deserved some scrutiny came even before I encountered Minhag Basel,
from hearing about R’ Joseph Ber Soloveitchik’s personal minhag of
reciting said Psalm only after Barukh SheAmar, for in his opinion it
was only within the framework of Pessuqei deZimra that one could begin
to recite Psalms in the morning liturgy. (However, he had no objection
to the liturgical recitation of Psalms after Pessuqei deZimra.)
However, that was a chiddush of R’ Soloveitchik; it never was an
established minhag.

So how come that it is recited in most communities, while many
Yeckishe communities skip it?

Read on at: http://ariefolger.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/psalm-30-in-morning-service/

Kol tuv & good Shabbos,
--