[Avodah] we live in good times

Joseph C. Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Wed Jul 29 13:06:11 PDT 2009

"There are sources saying that the walls of Jerusalem were
destroyed on separate days, but we fast only one day because the tzibbur
can't handle fasting too many days. Granted these two days (9th and 17th of
Tammuz) are close together, but if we were to fast for every tragedy, then
the effect would be similar."

I just heard a shiur this past Shabbat in which it was explained that it is a machloket Bavli and Yerusalmi as to whether the walls of Jerusalem were destroyed on the same day of the month for both Temples (17th of Tammuz) or on different days (9th and 17th).

Joseph Kaplan