[Avodah] bathing during the 9 days

Joshua Meisner jmeisner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 08:58:21 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:

> rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> Extreme Example:
>> Given that bigamy was an issue for R Gershom's era due to people still
>> fulfilling yibbum it was banned.
>>
>> But since we subsequently abandoned yibbum in favor of halitza - therefore
>> other bigamy is now OK!
>>

> Waitaminnit, where did you get the idea that ChDrG was motivated by a
> problem related to chalitzah?   If it had been, then ein hochi nami.

I agree with RZS's challenge on RRW's example.  EhE 1:21 even states
(despite the opposition of the Rema) that yibbum is an exception to the
takanah!

However, Beis Shmuel, citing Hagahos Maimoniyos, states that the reason for
the takanah was due to economic reasons, so perhaps RRW's point would still
hold.

- Joshua Meisner