[Avodah] aveilus of bein hamezarim on shabbos

Shlomo Pick picksh at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jul 25 15:39:49 PDT 2009

To your question of the tune of eli ziyon to lecho dodi.

The answer, who sings it to eli ziyon.  Minhag hagra and ba'al hatanya and
many others is to sing lecho dodi as you would do any other shabbos for
there is no aveilus on shabbos.

A proof from the eicha niggun?

Well our ba'al korei, harav Shlomo Kanyevski, R. Hayyim Kanyevski's son did
not change any trupp at all, neither the possuk eicha of the tora reading
nor in the haftorah. I asked about it, and he said that's the way he did for
his father and his grandfather, and they were following the chazon ish who
was following the vilna gaon - no signs of aveilut at all!

Those who are noheig aveilut should not be wearing their best shabbos finery
on Shabbat chazon, per the posekim who say so.

Shavu'a tov

Shlomo