[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 24 10:57:44 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:42am EDT, R Dr Meir Shinnar wrote:
: In my discussion with RMB, the issue has not been whether one could
: formulate a theoretical basis of opposition between tzniut and being a
: public servant - clearly one can - nor whether there is a literature
: on the dangers of public service.  The issue of conflicting values of
: the individual needs and communal needs can be easilty stated.  The
: question is whether that theoretical basis of opposition has actually
: been expressed into the form that RMB and RHS have expressed - and I
: (and others) have argued that it hasn't, and that RMB and RHS's
: formulation is an innovation with dangerous consequences, and against
: the traditional literature.

: One could formulate an opposition to public roles for women on the
: basis of tzniut as representing the pritzut category - which would be
: more of what RAY Kook is doing - but then the issue becomes the
: general social role of the woman in the MO community.