[Avodah] Re A 9 Days Shower - The Navy to the Rescue?

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Jul 23 05:10:02 PDT 2009

R' Rich Wolpoe wrote:
> Given Bathing for pleasure is restricted before Av 9, either all
> 9 days or at least shavua shehol bo...
> The dilemma - how to stay "clean" w/o stepping on this
> restrction?
[He then describes a certain procedure]
> Thus we have a shower technique that effectively cleans
> while minimizing "hana'ah"

Where is the "dilemma"? Do you see "bathing for pleasure" and "staying clean" as one and the same thing?

Why do you perceive a need to "minimize hana'ah"? As long as one is not going out of his way to do more than what is needed for effective cleaning, where do we see a need to also minimize the hanaah?

On a related note, I once asked a certain rav about how to do havdala during the nine days when there is no child around to drink the wine. The rav showed me the Rama 551:10 which sanctions drinking the wine oneself, and does not suggest using chamar medina. I asked, if one is drinking actual wine, should he limit himself to the minimum shiur (whatever that might be)? The rav noted that the poskim do not make such a suggestion.

Halevai we should fulfill the halacha as instructed. We don't need to invent new ones.

Akiva Miller