[Avodah] A 9 Days Shower - The Navy to the Rescue?

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 08:46:14 PDT 2009

Given Bathing for pleasure is restricted before Av 9, either all 9 days
or at least shavua shehol bo...

The dilemma - how to stay "clean" w/o stepping on this restrction?

The Navy Method to the Rescue

A friend of mine served on subs and destroyers. The Navy needed to
preserve precious fresh water. He described the Navy shower as follows:

Step 1: Pull a ring and water flows to  soak one's body
Step 2: The sailor then lathers himself with soap w/o any water flowing
Step 3: The sailor pulls the ring again and rinses off all of the soap
    and dirt.
(I'm guessing that Steps 1-3 might be repeated in an extreme case)

Thus we have a shower technique that effectively cleans while minimizing
"hana'ah"

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile