[Avodah] Categorical imperative

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Sun Jul 19 13:09:15 PDT 2009

Micha Berger wrote:
> If someone has the time to explain the Maharal's discussion in Tif'eres
> Yisrael pereq 6, I would be thrilled. (I'm a bit spread thin right now,
> behind schedule in other learning.) He discusses this machloqes and
> presents his own shitah.

As usual when I look at the Maharal, I understand only a small fraction
of what I suspect is there, but I'll give it a whirl since no one else
seems to be doing so.  He seems to say that the person saying "al kan
tzippor yagiu rahamecha" is guilty of a category error.  Running the
world is, apparently tautologically, an instantiation of justice, not of
mercy.   The mitzvot are part - - the word "part" is inaccurate but a
full explanation requires a digression so please excuse it - - of how
God runs the world, and hence must be instantiations of justice, not of
mercy.  So attributing shiluah hakan to rahamim is just wrong.

The Maharal doesn't explain here why this particular error is so
terrible that it deserves a special place in the mishna (and, as he does
point out, the same mishna appears in two massechtot).  I have a guess,
but I'd be much happier if someone more knowledgeable could provide a
reference to somewhere the Maharal himself answers the question.

David Riceman