[Avodah] best v. worst

M Cohen mcohen at touchlogic.com
Thu Jul 16 15:11:34 PDT 2009

HB:
> 2. if someone invites a fellow Jew to a meal on shabbos or Yom Tov to
> his/her house/Shul/bar mitzvah, etc, knowing full-well 100% they will
> drive either to the meal or from the meal, are they being lifnei
> iver??? and if not (what I have usually heard) then why not???

the 3 main svaras l'hatir are:

1. you're inviting them to actually stay over (and have the beds for them),
it's their decision to drive home (therefore at worst only m'sayaia)

2. Mehhalelin alav shabbat ahhat kedei sheyishmor shabbatot harbe

3. if you didn't invite them, they would be driving this shabbos anyway
(by inviting them, they will actually be doing less driving)

btw, there are poskim who allow invites to a notfrum Jew who will drive
only on YT (where driving is only a rabbinic prohibition of molid aish)

Mordechai Cohen