[Avodah] Categorical imperative

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Wed Jul 15 14:40:46 PDT 2009

Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
> David Riceman <driceman at att.net> wrote:
>
>> Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
>>
>>> Which Rishonim expound Divine command theory?
>>>
>> Rashi Berachos 33b s.v. "Midosav".
>>
> Rashi says there that the purpose of the commandments is "to impose on
> Yisrael the decrees of His edicts ("huke gezerosav") to publicize
> ("le'hodia") that they are His servants and the keepers of His
> commandments and the edicts of his decrees ("gezeros hukosav")".
>
> I don't see much evidence in this for a strong version of DCT:
>
> "A strong version of Divine Command Theory includes the claim that
> moral statements (x is obligatory) are defined in terms of theological
> statements (x is commanded by God)."

You read the Rashi but apparently forgot to look at the gemara on which
it comments.  What's wrong with saying "ad kan tzippor yagiu rahamecha?"
"Mipnei she'oseh midosav shel HKBH rahamim...."  What Rashi is excluding
is that God is imposing the mitzva of shiluah hakan for its own sake; he
is imposing it to let the Jews know he is our God.  Notice that the
Rambam (in MN 3:48 as cited by the Ramban below) understands the gemara
similarly, though he rejects this amoraic opinion, and the Ramban
(Devarim 22:6)  rejects this interpretation.  I'd say the naive
understanding of the Rashi is like the Rambam, though, if you prefer,
the Rambam is more explicit ("ein ta'am l'mitzvot ela heifetz haborei").

David Riceman