[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Meir Shinnar chidekel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:52:30 PDT 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Arie Folger wrote:

> RMShinnar wrote:
>> What has to be understood (and not yet addressed) is, that for good
>> or for
>> bad, the role of half the community has changed - and is no longer
>> one that
>> is primarily in the home.   but if a woman has the right and option
>> to be a
>> lawyer/doctor/teacher/..... - she will be in the public sphere and
>> not in
>> the home. (By your criteria, how tzanua is it to get up in front of
>> a class?
>> In front of a court?
>
> Sorry to barge in, but IIRC, there is a chazal that considers it
> immodest for a woman to stand in front of a court. Cited even by Rashi
> Devarim 22:16 (melamed she-ein la-isha reshit ledabber bifnei ha-ish,
> which is why she is represented by her parents).

I am thankful for RAF for bolstering my point.
First, WADR, I think that he is misinterpreting rashi - it is ledabber
lifne haish, not lifne habet din-  see,eg, the torah temima on the
pasuk - who views it as an issur for the woman to speak in front of
her husband - not a question of in front the bet din.  I think that is
the general understanding - various areas of tanach become
incomprehensible otherwise (bnot tzlophchad, devora) - nor do I think
that, say, in case of a get, the woman does not speak to the bet din.

However, I think RAF is reflecting a certain understanding that there
is an inappropriateness of the woman being summoned in front of the
bet din - and there are other ma'amre chazal that, IIRC, do support
such a more general issue that limit the appearances of women before
bate din.

This could be understood as reflecting either a general, eternal
hazaka about the nature and appropriate status of women - as some
other hazakot are understood - or reflecting more specific social
situation, rather than a more general din.
In the haredi community, there is a strain that does limit strongly
the ability of women to speak in public (eg, Rav Svei gave a speech to
an Aguda convention, reproduced in the Jewish Observer, banning women
from giving divre torah in public, and that many of the ills of the
haredi community were due to this violation of tzniut)

What is clear is that the MO and YU community do not view it this way,
and understand this as reflecting a social reality, rather than a
statement of hazaka.  For example. the institution of toa'not, whose
primary purpose is to argue before a bet din of men, is inconceivable
if this is viewed as reflecting an eternal hazaka and notion of zniut.

Toanot are not universally accepted in the YU community.  However, WRT
to secular court, and it seems quite clear that this hazaka should
also apply to secular court, it is quite common in the YU/MO community
for women to be lawyers- (and that was my original reference) -
without a peep (and some  of the women I know ask frequent shailot to
the YU Rashe yeshivot..)  (I don't now how common it is in American
haredi society, but I know of cases, and again, I have not heard much
mainstream American haredim argue  for the inappropriateness of such a
profession - but here I could be corrected).  Therefore, any such
limitation is clearly viewed, rather than reflecting the appropriate
halachic nature of women, with requirement of tzniut, as reflecting a
different social condition - and not applicable in today's word.

Meir Shinnar