[Avodah] Why is Shul Worship Inherently Attractive

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 14 13:00:20 PDT 2009

In a running thread entitled "Tzeni'us and gender roles," RMB wrote:

> I don't know if I'm succeeding, but I'm trying to illustrate an attitude
> rather than a logical flow of argument. An attitude that emphasizes
> shul worship because it's public thoroughfare worship. That some of the
> spiritual dissatisfaction a woman has being on the distaff side of the
> mechitzah is very much about it not having any possibilities of worship
> other than besoch ami.

Thus, according to RMB, the reason many consider shul centered worship
more fulfilling than home based worship, is that shul centered worship
is showoff worship.

I have not chimed in on the other thread, and probably won't. However,
while I do believe that Rav Hirsch is right that ideal worship is
personal and decentralized (which, acc. to RSRH is what service of G"d
was supposed to look like with the bekhorot being kohanim),
nonetheless, I am not convinced that the shul's attraction is that we
can show off there.

I have never been much of a spectator sports fan, having attended no
more games than I have fingers (on one hand IIRC), and having watched
similarly few, both counts since my birth. Nonetheless, I have
wondered what moves thousands upon thousands to cram into a stadium,
filled with seated "parentches," looking, as one rebbi in grade school
once put it, tzvaiundzvontzig naarunim loifen nukh a bal, und ven zie
hoben es, shiessen zie es aveg (roughly translates into: "soccer").

I believe that what attracts thousands of supporters to sports stadia,
is a tribal instinct, a sense of togetherness. And when a fan gets up
and starts cheering for his team and hundreds, and then thousands
follow after him, it isn't showing off that motivates him (those that
are so motivated are self conscious impostors who cannot arouse the
masses) or her, BTW, but a sense that one has backing from his
community of supporters.

Likewise, we get together in shul because of the companionship, the
community, and that even in worship, we like to do it together. And
when we want to lead, it is because it is exhilarating to know that
you can inspire others. I happen to know a little about that last
point; I do it for a living. It isn't "look at me," but it is most
fulfilling to know that you move someone else, too.

Similarly, saying devarim shebiqdusha isn't only about reciting
formulaic statements. One could have said them privately. When Chazal
instituted saying them betzibbur, they harnessed the power of the
crowd and the feeling of togetherness of the crowd, for the purpose of
'avodat haShem. These pronouncements are precisely about arousing our
tribal instincts in service of G"d, and that by doing that, we rise
above the level of the angels.

So, yes, the private service is the main service, but no, the public
service is not a concession to human frailty, not a necessary evil,
but a harnessing of our particular power and attraction as a crowd,
something we rightly feel drawn to when it is used right.

Now this is not an argument for or against greater public religious
roles for women. This was just about rescuing the honor of the miqdash
me'at that was indirectly under attack.

Kol tuv,
--
Arie Folger,