[Avodah] The shape of the Menorah of the Temple

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 11 11:12:52 PDT 2009

We discussed at length in the past (back in Chanukah 2003, eg RSM's post
at <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol12/v12n065.shtml#12>) the question
of the shape of the branches of the menorah in the BHMQ. Here's another
data point in facor of curved arms.

> Full article at
> http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/133388
> by Gil Ronen

> (IsraelNN.com) The Israel Antiquities Authority has uncovered one of
> the world's oldest synagogues in an excavation at Migdal, near the Sea
> of Galilee (Kinneret). Inside the synagogue, a stone relief contains a
> depiction of the seven branched Menorah which stood in the Temple, and
> which was most likely seen by the artist who sculpted the stone
> relief.

> Known depictions of the Menorah from Second Temple times include the
> famous relief of Titus's Arch in Rome, which shows Roman soldiers
> taking it away after destroying the Temple, and depictions on
> contemporary coins as well as graffiti etched into stone in
> Jerusalem's Jewish Quarter. However, the new find is said to be the
> first which includes a relief etched by an artist contemporary with
> the Temple.

(Hat tip: R' Yisrael Markov on scjm.)

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             When we are no longer able to change a situation
micha at aishdas.org        -- just think of an incurable disease such as
http://www.aishdas.org   inoperable cancer -- we are challenged to change
Fax: (270) 514-1507      ourselves.      - Victor Frankl (MSfM)