[Avodah] Shehechiyanu

Allen Gerstl acgerstl at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 02:52:22 PDT 2009

On  Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:36:02 -0400
R Zev Sero <zev at sero.name>
Wrote:Subject: Re: [Avodah] shechiyanu

                      .      .      .
>... The reason we don't say shehecheyanu on potatoes is not >that they're vegetables but that they;re stored all year; if >they weren't, we would. As the article you linked to says, it's >an explicit gemara that we do say it on pumpkins, since they >are only available in their season.

A question:

What of fruits and vegetables that are shipped in to your community from various faraway places as they become seasonally available  at those places, notwithstanding that they are seasonal crops, only available in season wherever they grow and that do not store too well?  Thus, as an example, kiwis are available throughout the year  where I live, however they are brought in from Italy during summer in the Northern Hemisphere and from Australia and New Zealand or from Chili in the Southern Hemisphere during summer in the Southern Hemisphere. However although kiwis are thus seasonal crops, they are available now throughout the year because of such shipping.  In fact if you checked you might find that almost any crop that is seasonal and does not store well might still be available.  Would we thus perhaps require that the fruit or vegetable not be shipped in throughout the entire year from such various locals and/or also that it is not usually stored (and also what is the meaning of "storage" need such be storage as a fresh fruit or vegetable or is it considered as storage if the fruit or vegetable is commonly frozen or what if it is available as a canned food?

KT
Eliyahu