[Avodah] dudaim and Chutzpah?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 25 03:04:00 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:15:07AM -0700, Harvey Benton wrote:
: how dare Leah answr Rachel, that not only did u take my husband but
: also u want my son's dudaim? Did she forget the History of Her Own
: Marriage? Yaakovs true Wife was Rochel, not Leah, was Leah thus blinded
: by Jealousy when she made that stmt?

Of course not. Once Yaaqov married Leah, he crossed what would later be
halakhah to marry Racheil. Who then is the real wife?

BTW, who said that Leah wasn't Yaaqov's true wife? Reflect on how Yaaqov's
life actually went. Racheil died young. For the vast majority of his life,
it was him, Leah, and the shefachos.

IIRC, it's the Tiqunei Zohar who has a long peice on how Eisav was
supposed to be part of kelal Yisrael, the breadbasket, to be specific,
and that's why Leah was to marry him. When Eisav sent off the derekh,
Yaaqov then had to assume the dual role: both Yaaqov and Yisrael, both
Racheil's husband's and Leah's.