[Avodah] Kana'ut

yirmeyahu at juno.com yirmeyahu at juno.com
Wed Jul 8 21:47:13 PDT 2009

[From Areivim]
>I wonder: how obligated are we, if at all, (a) to agree with Abaye and
think that R. Ada bar Ahava's action was justified and (b) to think  that
people who seek to emulate that behavior today are similarly justified?

>>I also wonder, does one need to be at the level of R' Ada bar Ahava in  order to be entitled to take such action.

I don't know if there is any particular level one must be on, but the Sanz-Klausenberger Rebbe zt'l said:

"It is our obligation to understand that it is not the case that when ever a person kills the sinner, that it demonstrated that he did this because of kana'us. There is a sign which distinguishes between kanau's which is true and that which is false. If when a person sees his fell fallen in sin he is filled with anger and wrath awakens in him, until he doesn't control his actions and kills him, this is not kanau's for Hashem, rater wrath and anger. He is not a kanai, but rather a wrathful person. And since he doesn't have intent l'shem shamayim, the prohibition against harming the sinner falls upon him.

True kanau's which is l'shem shamayim is only when a person from Israel sees his fellow fallen in serious transgression, and is is embittered and pained that his eyes see such things, his heart aches so much from the affront of the Sh'chinah... and also at the time which he kills [the sinner] tears fall from his eyes and he is pained until his spirit is broken, that he has reached such a situtation as this, that he is compelled to do that which is contrary to his will and to his nature.....

Thus is the way of true kana'us, and only knai'im such as thee are permitted to strike the transgressor. Only kanai'im who have no harsh grievence against the transgressor in their heart, and their zeal is pure without any admixture of anger or alterior motives."

Shefa Chaim parshas Vayigash 5742 Chumash Rashi Shiur. (My apologies for the "translation").

I think we should be more careful who we dub "kanai'im".

Yirmeyahu