[Avodah] HaShem as God's Name

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 21:24:25 PDT 2008

> In Avodah 25:326, R' Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
> > ... see the example on Bava Metziah 16b, because Rashi over
> > there explains that it is a Lashon of Shevuah. Like, "By God!"
> > or "I swear to God!" These also should be OK (though the
> > person saying them should really be very, very sure that
> > they're swearing the truth).

R' Akiva Miller:
> Indeed? Is it really sufficient that one is very, very sure that he is
> swearing the truth? Aren't we taught to avoid swearing even in such cases?
> Are we being more machmir than they were?

I was just making the point that if he wasn't sure, it would be unwise - I wasn't condoning swearing. As far as the examples in the Gemara, I see no reason to assume that their attitude was different than ours - it just shows how non-trivial the points they were making were to them. IOW, yes, they avoided swearing except in cases of great necessity - as we do - but for them these were situations of necessity.

KT and KVCT,
MYG