[Avodah] Atonement Erev Yom Kippur, Appeasing the Victim

Dov Kay dov_kay at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 04:50:10 PDT 2008

<<Shulchan Oruch Siman 606 discusses the need to mollify those we have hurt.Although the Siman is titled, "The Duty of Appeasing One's Friend Before YomKippur" the Mechaber does not actually mention the timing. He simplydescribes that YK alone will not remedy inter-personal sins until the victimis mollified; and elaborates on how to go about achieving that.>>

My understanding is that the titles of the simanim in the SA were not written by the author (cf the Tur, which also has no titles).  The titles were added by the printers, and changed from edition to edition.

For instance, see www.rabbiwolpoecomment.blogspot.com/2007/09/forward-kapporos-rationalism-and-titles.html  f for a discussion of the title to the siman dealing with kapporos, which includes the words "minhag sh'tus"!

Kol tuv
Dov Kay