[Avodah] Conflicting Sources

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Fri Sep 26 06:33:17 PDT 2008

From: Cantor Wolberg _cantorwolberg at cox.net_ (mailto:cantorwolberg at cox.net)

>>I  thought the purpose of the Torah She-b'al peh was to illuminate the
protocol for many things such as T'fillin and Tzitzis.
Therefore, why  would there have been conflicting sources when the main
source is from  God?<<

There may be other more complex  legalistic reasons, but the simplest
explanation is that the chain of  transmission became confused over the centuries and
people forgot things.   The Torah sheba'al peh was, by definition,
transmitted /orally/ for centuries,  and naturally mistakes crept in and details were
forgotten, leading to  disagreements.  Subsequently some of these details had to
be reconstructed  retrospectively, using rules of logic like gezeirah shaveh,
kal vechomer and so  on.  Eventually it was found necessary to commit the
Torah "sheba'al  peh" to writing even though a "written oral law" sounds like an
oxymoron.   Otherwise the oral law was in danger of being forgotten.  "Eis
la'asos  l'Hashem...."  We see even in our own lives how easily things can
become confused, as grandchildren argue over whether Zeida did it this way or  that
way -- whatever "it" may be.

In addition, some details may not be matters of law but of minhag. Over
time, of course, minhag becomes din, "the way it's always been done" acquiring
the force of law.

--Toby  Katz