[Avodah] Assur to own...

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 25 12:02:24 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:09:31PM -0400, Michael Kopinsky wrote:
: I remember hearing somewhere that the only three things that are assur to
: own are chometz b'pesach, avodah zarah, and dishonest weights.
: Is this true?

: The two counterexamples that people have mentioned are
: a) sefarim chitzonim, and
: b) dangerous dogs.

I think there is a difference between an issur in owning something and
an issur -- having a spiritual or physical danger around -- by owning
something. Is it assur to own a dangerous dog, or a shor shenagach, that
is properly muzzled or chained? If you mitigate the danger, is the
ownership assur?

OTOH, even va'aven is assur even if you aren't in sales, and there is no
danger of commiting geneivah with them.

These may be different in another way. I don't know about AZ and dishonest
weights, but WRT chameitz, bal yeiraeh bal yeimatzei includes far more
than baalus.

Micha Berger             When memories exceed dreams,
micha at aishdas.org        The end is near.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Rav Moshe Sherer
Fax: (270) 514-1507