[Avodah] strange story

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Sep 20 20:09:07 PDT 2008

R' Eli Turkel wrote:
> I vaguely recall a similar discussion about a man
> undergoing a heart transplant. There is a short time
> that a man has no heart. Some wanted to rule that a
> man without a heart (?) is considered halachic dead
> and so after the operation is wife is an almanah
> bechaye baala ... I thought there is a teshuva of the
> Tzitz Eliezer on the question but I am abroad without
> my seforim

Indeed, the Tzitz Eliezer wrote about these things, and so did many others, including Be'er Hetev, Birkei Yosef, RSZ Auerbach, Rav Kanievsky, and Chazon Ish. If I'm reading it correctly, all those agree that the couple remains married (though some others seem to disagree).

I get this information from the English version of Nishmat Avraham, vol 3, pp 85-86, which I'd be happy to scan and send to whoever wants it. For those who have the Hebrew version, I suggest looking at the beginning of Even Haezer 17. The references to Tzitz Eliezer cite Vol 16, Simanim 24 and 64, and an article in Assia issue #38, Elul 5744 pg 10.

Akiva Miller