[Avodah] burial

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 09:40:56 PDT 2008

From: Gershon Dubin _gershon.dubin at juno.com_ (mailto:gershon.dubin at juno.com)

Not "seem  to be";  ein malinin es hameis bYrushalayim.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008  "Eli Turkel" <eliturkel at gmail.com>
writes:
> This does not seem  to apply to Jerusalem where funerals seem to
> be at night even when  important people can't come. Of course
> there was no eglah arufah in  Jerusalem

To my surprise, I recently heard of a case where  somebody passed away in Y-m
on a Friday and the burial was delayed until Sunday  while waiting for a son
to arrive from America.  Until I heard about this I  thought it was actually
against the law to delay a burial in Y-m.  My  father passed away on a Shabbos
and the levayah was that night around  midnight.  They have procedures in
place to advertise levayos quickly --  mainly paid sound trucks that go around
various neighborhoods announcing the  levaya.  Even on such short notice large
numbers of people will drop  everything and go to a late-night levayah of
somebody they knew.

--Toby  Katz