[Avodah] Reciting l'Dovid Hashem Ori...

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 21:09:55 PDT 2008

>>It is clear that this custom, although widespread, is by no  means
universal, and the implication posted that not saying L'Dovid  is
tantamount to a lack of yirat shamayim is most  unjustified.<<

Saul Mashbaum

It all depends /why/ you don't say it.   Certainly, if one is following the
custom of the Vilna Gaon, one cannot be  suspected of lacking yiras Shamayim.

If you prefer one authority over another or you have one community minhag
and not another, then there is no problem.

The problem is when a young person says, "All those authorities who have  the
custom to say it are simply ignorant, as they are unaware of a  significant
piece of information that I have uncovered, namely, that this  custom is of
Sabbatean origin.  If they knew what I know, all Torah  authorities without
exception would discontinue the saying of l'Dovid  Hashem Ori during Elul.  I can't
follow those who do say it because  they simply speak out of ignorance."

It is this attitude which I fear may suggest or may lead in some cases to a
lessening of yiras Shamayim -- the subtle disparagement of Torah  authorities.

--Toby  Katz