[Avodah] Question on parasha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 9 03:21:54 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:25:06PM -0400, Gershon Dubin wrote:
: Someone asked me the following:  The pasuk in this week's parasha tells
: us that one may not leave a body unburied overnight.  However, last
: week's parasha ended with a body being left for as long as 4 weeks while
: the ziknei Beis Din are informed of the need for them to come and then
: they actually come to measure.  How could this be?

I don't think the question stands on a halakhah level. Asei dokheh lav.

That said, on the underlying principle of kavod hameis level, it still
could use explanation. It's bad enough the guy lost his life, we add to
the indignity?

Micha Berger             A wise man is careful during the Purim banquet
micha at aishdas.org        about things most people don't watch even on
http://www.aishdas.org   Yom Kippur.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rabbi Israel Salanter