[Avodah] HaShem as God's Name

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 11:58:31 PDT 2008

From: _yfel912928 at aim.com_ (mailto:yfel912928 at aim.com)

>>I think the use of "Hashem" is a sociological phenomenon. That  is, whereas
it had been the community preference to fit-in and be considered  religiously
normal among other Americans, there came to be a need/inclination to  stand
out and be different. Like so much else in contemporary Yiddishkeit, it
probably stems from a reaction to the 1960's, when differences became points of
pride and ethnicity suddenly shined and mattered.<<

-- Yaakov  Feldman

I think it goes back way before that, to a  discomfort with using non-Jewish
or non-loshon hakodesh names for G-d.   Even way before the Sixties, even in
the shtetl, my impression is that it was  rare for people to refer to Him as
"Gott" but rather they would say the  "Ribono Shel Olam" which, the way my
grandparents said it, when I was a  child I thought was one  six-syllable Yiddish
word -- "Ribonashalolam"  -- with the major stress on the second syllable and a
secondary stress on the  fifth (penultimate) syllable.  (I also thought my
grandfather's name was  "Moshechiel" -- one Yiddish word -- not realizing it was
"Moshe Yechiel" until  much later.)  The other word frequently used was the
one R' Micha mentioned  the other day, der Aibershter.  If you were learning it
might be  "Hakadosh Baruch Hu" but that was used less often.  A constant
saying I  heard as a child was "Der Ribonoshelolam feert zein velt."  Very
comforting, no matter what happened.  Another one, to counter-balance that  one and
prevent total passivity, was "A Yid git zich an eitza."  Thus, "G-d  runs the
world" but at the same time, "Jews are resourceful."

--Toby  Katz