[Avodah] Torah Only - Hora'as Sha'a

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 21:38:39 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> It's not trying to 2nd guess what he was trying to accomplish, but to
> simply read what he said. In RSRH's value system, the ghetto was something
> we nebich had to endure and temporarily stunted out opportunity to live
> according to the Torah.
>

> Tir'u baTov!
> -Micha

And AISI some in the Torah only world see the ghetto as a lechatchila and
the TIDEr's and the "MO's [I prefer Centrists in this context] agree with
Hirsch that this is short of the ideal.

Those RWO who want to put the genie back in the bottle are really longing
nostalgically for the kind of oppression prevalent in Eastern Europe before
the emanciaption.  That was a horrifc way of life.

That is why I have been on a quest to find the best Western European
Techniques for Adating a Torah lifestyle hear in America. And that includes
TIDE but also Tosafos and others with a Western influnece, incuding Western
Sephardim from Amsterdam and Hamburg [think of Rabbi De Sola Pool, et. al.]

If we can distill and combine the ideals of the Hirsch's-  and other
like-minded emancipated Torah girants - we can live in American Openly w/o
the need of retreating but go on the offensive.

For exmaple, today in America we might need MORE Rambam and Less Arizal
while say in EY the opposite might be true.

--
Kesiva vaChasima Tova
Best Wishes for the New Year 5769