[Avodah] NASA, Dead-Sea Scrolls and G-D's holy name

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Sep 3 11:52:10 PDT 2008

Micha Berger wrote:

> I would think the Qumranim would fall under "seifer Torah shekasvo min",
> even if the whole thing were in Ashuris.

My own theory, which I can't prove, is that the "min" in the law that
distinguishes "ST sheksavo min" from "ST sheksavo akum" is davka
a Christian.  What makes a min different from an akum for this
purpose is what he means when he writes the Name.  An akum means
"the Jewish god, in whom I don't believe".  Since he wrote it to
refer to Hashem, it has kedusha, regardless of what he actually
believes *about* Hashem.  But when a Xian writes the same letters
he doesn't even *mean* Hashem; he means his god.  He thinks that is
the name of his god, and that the pasuk is about his god.  Therefore
it has no kedusha.   For this purpose, an ordinary heretic is like
an akum, not like a Xian, and therefore I believe a Name that he
writes does have kedusha, and yiganez, not yisaref.

> You reminded me of something I asked in grade school, learning mesechtes
> Megillah but got accused of being a "wise guy" instead of getting an
> answer....
>
> When reading a megillah in a foreign language (Megillah 18a), are there
> limits on the kesav? Or do they mean writing Greek in Ashuris letters --
> like Yiddish or Ladino?

Bear in mind that Greek letters were used in the BHMK because "yaft
Elokim leYefet, veyishkon beoholei Shem".  So the Greek alphabet also
has a special significance.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.