[Avodah] birchas hachama

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Aug 29 12:38:44 PDT 2008

Eli Turkel wrote:

> For a measurement there is the error in the small and the accumulation of
> error. Using 3 for pi is reasonable for small objects. When giving the
> circumference of yam shel shelmoa the difference between 30 amot and 31+
> amot is quite measurable.

You're assuming the diameter was exactly 10, and therefore that the
circumference must have been 31.14, and not roundable to 30.  But who
tells you that?  It seems obvious to me that the circumference was
between 29.85 and 30.5, which rounds to 30, and the diameter was
between 9.5 and 9.7, which rounds to 10.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.