[Avodah] Birkas haChama

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Aug 27 04:59:27 PDT 2008

You're missing the point, which is that nothing special happens that
morning, so what is it exactly that we're making the bracha on?  When we
make a bracha on the moon, it has objectively changed - it has passed
through the earth's shadow and emerged again, new as it was at its
creation.  The sun returns to the same place in its orbit every year,
and if we said the bracha every year that would make sense, but we
don't; instead we only say it every 28 years, which doesn't correspond
to anything at all that is objectively real.  So why do we say the
bracha then?

--
Zev Sero
Because halachik reality and perceived reality are not always in sync