[Avodah] Birkas haChama

Efraim Yawitz efraim.yawitz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 00:13:17 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:47 AM,  Micha Berger wrote:

> Any tequfah would be only an estimate; the actual number of days per year
> is an irrational number. (Like getting pi down exactly.) So, why not
> pick an estimate that both makes the mitzvah rare enough to be special
> without so rare people couldn't remember having done it before and the
> mesorah would be lost?

I just want to add that what reminded me of this issue was seeing in a
fairly impressive frum children's book on science, mixed in with
modern astronomical facts, the 'fact' that the sun will return to the
'place' where it was at the Creation at the time of Birkas haChama.
This seems to me to be a potential source of confusion, certainly in
the light of the approaches given by RZS and RMB.

Ephraim