[Avodah] Issur in smoking marijuana?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 25 12:23:17 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 1:06pm EDT, R Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
: Also, on the subject of comparing these three addictive substances, I would
: guess that RMF based his Psak on common usage, as his Shittah, I'm told, is
: to be Nigrar after the Minhag. Smoking tobacco was accepted so he needed to
: justify it, alcohol was accepted. But marijuana was not. The Halachic
: process trumping consistency.

That was the conclusion I reached from RMF's repeated invocation of the
concept of ben sorer umoreh. The rebelliousness implied had much to to
with his pesaq.